MOREHEAD CITY — Carteret Health Care announced Thursday it has lifted visitation restrictions to the hospital, effective immediately, as the number of flu cases reported across the state declines.
The hospital has restricted visitation since January to help prevent the spread of influenza, which saw high levels of activity state and nationwide this season. Visitation was limited to 1-2 visitors per patient at a time, and children under the age of 18 could not visit the hospital unless for care. Visitation has now returned to its normal status.
“We appreciate the community's understanding and support while we kept our patients, staff and community healthy and well,” Michelle Lee, CHC community relations director, said in an email statement.
The latest N.C. Flu Report from the state’s Division of Public Health shows a decline in flu cases statewide, with a peak occurring mid-February. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said flu season also peaked nationwide last month.
Carteret Health Care staff worked with county schools, the community college and urgent care centers to monitor the spread of flu, and all have reported a decrease in flu-like illnesses in the past two weeks.
Public health officials warn that although flu activity is decreasing overall, the flu season is expected to continue through mid-April or later. Young children and the elderly are especially at risk of becoming ill, and it is still not too late to get a flu shot to protect against sickness.