BEAUFORT — Early voting in Tuesday’s primary runoff will wrap up this week just in time for another voting activity — filing for the 2019 municipal races.
Interested residents can begin filing for town seats at noon Friday at the County Board of Elections, 1702 Live Oak St., Suite 200 in Beaufort.
The site should be lively this week, as early voting continues in the Republican runoff for North Carolina’s 3rd Congressional District.
Early voting will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, but will not be available Thursday, as the office and site are closed for the Fourth of July holiday.
Interim Board of Elections Director Margot Burke said the office hopes to exceed 1,000 early voters in the second primary before winding down Friday and opening polls in all precincts early Tuesday.
“We’re raring to go for the beginning of municipals, the end of the filing period,” she said.
As of close Tuesday, 979 Carteret County voters had made their selection in the two-person primary.
Those eligible to vote in the primary include registered Republicans, unaffiliated voters who voted a Republican ballot during the April 30 primary and unaffiliated voters who didn’t vote in the contest earlier this spring.
Absentee by mail ballots are no longer available in Tuesday’s runoff, and Ms. Burke said the office sent out 59 ballots to those who requested one. Voted absentee ballots must be postmarked by Tuesday.
Republicans Dr. Greg Murphy and Dr. Joan Perry, the frontrunners from April’s packed contest, are on the ballot.
Both bill themselves as conservatives who hope to support President Donald Trump’s agenda if elected to fill the eastern North Carolina seat of the late Rep. Walter Jones Jr.
The winner of next week’s primary contest proceeds to the Tuesday, Sept. 10 special election.
In addition to closing early voting and prepping for the runoff, elections officials will welcome municipal candidates beginning Friday.
The filing period runs through noon Friday, July 19. A full list of available seats, provided by the BOE early this year, is below.
The filing fee for municipal seats is $5, except for candidates in Peletier and Morehead City, who will pay $10, according to the elections office.
Candidates are encouraged to bring information on their campaign committee, campaign bank account and the name of a designated treasurer.
“We’ve had a few (people) request information in advance,” Ms. Burke said Wednesday.
Campaign finance training for candidates and treasurers is set for Friday, July 26 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Voting in the November town races begins with absentee by mail Friday, Oct. 4.
For more information on candidate filing or the ongoing runoff election, contact the BOE at 252-728-8460.
Municipal seats on the ballot for the Tuesday, Nov. 5 elections are listed below by town, along with the official who currently presides.
• Mayor, Trace Cooper
• Council member, Harry Archer
• Council member, Richard Porter
• Council member, Danny Navey
• Council member, Richard Johnson
• Council member, Austin Waters
• Mayor, Everett S. “Rett” Newton
• Commissioner, John Hagle
• Commissioner, Sharon Harker
• Commissioner, Marianna Hollinshed
• Mayor, Ricky Taylor
• Commissioner, Edgar Morton
• Commissioner, Robert O’Chat
• Commissioner, Herbert Page
• Mayor, Dave Fowler
• Commissioner, Charlie Evans
• Commissioner, Don Miller
• Commissioner, Minnie Truax
• Mayor, Scott Hatsell
• Commissioner, David Winberry
• Commissioner, Frankie Winberry
• Commissioner, Steven Finch
• Commissioner, Floyd Messer Jr.
• Commissioner, Jim Normile
• Commissioner, E. Dale Williford
• Commissioner, Peter J. Wylie
• Council member, Bill Taylor
• Council member, Diane Warrender
• Council member, Harvey Walker
• Council member, Danny E. Fornes
• Council member, David M. Heath
• Council member, Chuck Shinn
• Mayor, Dale Sowers
• Commissioner, David Bragg
• Commissioner, Walter Krause
Pine Knoll Shores:
• Mayor, Ken Jones
• Commissioner, Clark Edwards
• Commissioner, Ted Goetzinger
Contact Jackie Starkey at 252-726-7081, ext. 225; email email@example.com; or follow on Twitter @jackieccnt.