RALEIGH - The burn ban for Carteret and 17 other eastern counties is being lifted at 5 p.m. Monday.
The ban went into effect on May 30 due to extremely dry conditions in the area. Burn permits are now available in Carteret and the other counties once again; however, caution is strongly encouraged with any open burning as careless debris burns are the leading cause of wildfires in North Carolina.
N.C. Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler said he and his staff are thankful for the recent rainfall and improved conditions “which have lessened much of the wildfire risk in the coastal area.”
“Even with the burn ban in place, wildland firefighters with our N.C. Forest Service responded to 53 wildfires covering 342 acres within those burn ban counties,” Mr. Troxler said. “The ban’s purpose was to prevent human-caused fires, freeing up responders to focus on wildfires naturally caused by lightning.”
The online burn permit system is open again statewide. All burn permits previously granted within the 18 burn ban counties were cancelled when the ban was implemented so new permit applications must be submitted. Online burn permits are available at www.ncforestservice.gov or in-person from local agents within each county.
Residents with questions regarding their specific county can contact their county ranger with the N.C. Forest Service or their county fire marshal’s office. In Carteret County, Ranger Brent Toler may be reached at 252-728-3793 or by email at email@example.com.
Carteret County Fire Marshal Eddie Lewis may be reached at 252-222-5841 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.